Hot Line -09643-100300 ,
MBBS Admission Information - 01886968009

Different Types of Clinical Presentation and Management of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding


Jabbar TS 1 Billah A2, Parvin R 3, Begum J4, Forhad R5


Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is an important gynecological problem which embarrasses the patients causing anxiety and fatigue. It is an important cause of iron deficiency anemia and also causes significant number of absence from workplace. In this study we attempted (i) to explore different clinical presentation of DUB patients, (ii) to investigate histopathological conditions and (iii) to see the effectiveness of different modalities of treatment of DUB in our country. This prospective study carried out for a period of one year from July, 2015 to June, 2016 in two tertiary care hospitals. Total 50 cases were studied. Mean age was 40.25 years and the predominant age group was 47-50 yrs of age. 25(50%) patients had their menstrual symptoms for 1-3 years. Menorrhagia is the predominant (56%) bleeding pattern and 98% patients were anemic. Ultrasonography detected 29(58%) cases of bulky uterus and hyperplasia in 16(32%) cases. Histopathological examination reveals proliferative phase in 27.77% patients and atrophic endometrium in 25% cases. Regarding treatment, total 14 patients were given medical treatment and of them 55 percent remained symptom-free. Thirty six (72%) patients had hysterectomy. Among them 16(44.45%) had direct hysterectomy and the rest 20(55.55%) had either prior medical treatment or curettage or both followed by hysterectomy. There were wide varieties treatment modalities for DUB patients. Management needs to be individualized for each patients. We found that a large number of patients (55.55%) underwent hysterectomy in comparison to other studies.

Issue: Vol. 6 No. 1 (2020)

Publish Date: Jun 07, 2022